On Wednesday 6th June, Joe Gallagher, unveiled his plans to launch The Joe Gallagher Academy.
The Academy will work with young people aged 16-19 years old, to blend world class boxing tuition, with high quality education.
It’s been Joe’s life-long ambition to make a real difference to the lives of young people, in his much loved city of Manchester, by helping to enhance their opportunities in the future through sport and education.
The Joe Gallagher Academy will be run alongside Learning Point, out of two prime locations, The Factory Youth Zone in Harpurhey and the Woodhouse Park Lifestyle Centre in Wythenshawe.
Joe, who has trained so many world, international and British champions, has seen first-hand the importance of matching athletic ability with education. Joe is passionate about helping the next generation of young people to achieve their full potential in life,
Joe will act as director of performance for the Academy and will oversee each learners’ Personal Performance Plan. He will lead on all aspects of coaching and development utilising his years of experience in professional sport. In addition, Joe will schedule a number of masterclasses throughout the year with his stable of professional boxers which include Anthony Crolla, Calum Smith, Liam Smith and Natasha Jonas.
Talking ahead of the launch, Joe Gallagher explained: “I still can’t believe the Joe Gallagher Academy is becoming reality! I’ve always wanted to get to this point in my life where I can really try to make a difference to some young people who may not always get a lot of opportunities in life.
“I was lucky enough to have found boxing, in Moss Side ABC back in the 80s, and even luckier to have certain people around me to guide me and teach me so much, not just in boxing, but in life. Now is the time for me to help pass on my own knowledge and guidance to support the next generation.
To register for the Open Training Day where Joe Gallagher and team will discuss the course with potential students – register here: https://joegallagheracademy.com/
Further information on The Joe Gallagher Academy
Key aims of The Joe Gallagher Academy:
- To blend world class sports coaching with full time education for young people
- To use boxing as a vehicle to engage young people to reach their potential
- To create a level playing field for young people from a range of backgrounds breaking down the barriers to their success
- To prepare young people to achieve – whether that’s through employment, university or a route into professional sport or Sports Coaching
- To promote Joes key values of hard work, integrity and passion
How the Academy works:
- Students will follow a Study Programme designed by Joe at either Level 2 or 3
- World Class Boxing tuition in the mornings and working towards a BTEC in Sport in the afternoon
- The course will be taught in practical settings as well as being classroom based
- The Academy is a Full Time alternative to school or college for young people
- Regular masterclasses from professional boxers and inspirational guest speakers
Who is the Academy aimed at?
- School Leavers who wish to pursue a career in Sports Development or Coaching
- 16-19 year olds who want a positive environment in which to develop
- Male and Female boxers of all abilities
- Young people wishing to train and learn in a professional sporting environment
What will be studied on the course?
- Sports psychology
- Sports development and coaching
- Practical sport
- How the body works
- Analysing performance
- Strength and conditioning
- Issues in sport
Special features of the academy:
- Warm Weather Training in Costa Del Sol
- Regular Masterclasses from Joe Gallagher and his stable of professional boxers
- Attend professional boxing shows as representative of The Joe Gallagher Academy
- Work experience and employment opportunities in sport
- Daily Boxing and fitness sessions with your coach
- EASTLANDS HUB – Factory Zone Harpurhey, Manchester
- SOUTH MANCHESTER HUB – Woodhouse Park Lifestyle Centre, Wythenshawe